December 20, 2009

Almost There


It feels like months ago, I was excited about starting graduate school. It was a new chapter in my life because up until that moment, no one in my family had gone to Graduate School to pursue a Masters Degree. This was legendary.

My family supported my endeavors. My Coco Puff supported me. And of course my Divas did as well. I started this journey in the NYC Teaching Fellowship, a program established to bring in non education bound people into the education field to fulfill high need positions in low income schools. They bring you in on a crash course track that feels like a roller coaster the whole way through.

For starters, I started my Graduate coursework during the summer of 2008 and I was unable to work at all because I had to co-teach at a summer school from 8-12, then I raced to classes at my assigned college from 1-7. I did this everyday all summer. I had no income and I was exhausted and stressed about becoming a teacher. Additionally at this point I had no secure placement in a school for the upcoming school year.


Somehow I got through it.

August 2008 comes and I was put in a special education classroom with no real life hands on training at all. I had all the theory taught and learned in textbooks behind me, but that's about it. In addition to working full time as a "teacher" I was attending 2 graduate courses a week for 3 hours at a time. When the days are over, I felt overwhelmed and unsure of myself. How can I teach these kids with all of their different disabilities and all of my many insecurities?

Somehow I got through it.

When Winter Break came in December 2008 it felt like a dream come true, but unfortunately the NYC Teaching Fellows don't look at that time as a time for you to enjoy your vacation after working so hard at a strenuous job and a rigorous course load. They had me attend class Mon-Thurs during the winter intercession(Jan 2009) every day! The winter intercession only applies to colleges, meaning elementary schools aren't on break anymore, so I went to work everyday and then raced to class from 5-830 every night. It was horrible!


Somehow I got through it.
Three days after intercession ended the spring semester begins and the torture begins again from Feb-May 2009.

Somehow I got through it.

Summer for colleges and summer for elementary schools don't match up. So while I'm pushing through the month of June 2009 with 8 year olds who can't wait for summer vacation next month, I'm taking summer classes at college because summer begins in June for colleges. Mon-Thurs from 5-8:30 I have class after a long day of work. When will this all end???

Somehow I got through it.

When July 2009 came, my body needed the rest so badly. I just wanted to do lots and lots of nothingness. BUT I couldn't, the drive inside of me doesn't allow me to sit still and do nothing all day, all week, all month, all summer. I would spend hours online, go to the gym, I planned my wedding, I participated in an internship, I went to the movies weekly, went out to dinner often, baby-sat for friends, read lots of books and magazines, cooked all the time, and went on a very nice vacation with my Fiance to the Bahamas click here for photos.

Somehow I got through it.

The school year started up again in September 2009 for both work and graduate class. It felt easier this time around, but still tough going to school because I'm working on my thesis. I finished my Fall semester last week and I don't have to participate in the January intercession. Thank God!


This does mean that when I complete next semester, Spring 2010 (Feb-May), I'll be all done with Graduate school! I'll be getting my diploma on May 26th 2010!!!

God brought me through it.

8 comments:

Chic Mama said...

Congratulations for 'getting through it'. I'm exhausted reading all of that.
xx

Jenell : BlakIzBeautyful said...

Thanks Chic Mama!

Its been a struggle.

QueenBee said...

Shazammmm!! Booyah!! This is exquisitely awesome. You go girl.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Congrats!!!! You're sooooo close!!

Vee said...

GIRL!!! I can only imagine your exhaustion! In the end you'll see that it is all worth . Actually I'm sure you already do see that it's worth it! Keep doing your thing girlie! I'm certainly proud of you!

Don said...

Congratulations on quite an achievement I can only imagine how proud you have made everyone rooting for you. The Bahamas trip sounds nice.

MS outlook 2010 said...

Microsoft outlook 2010 includes new features to help users more effectively manage their inbox.These features include the "Ignore" and "clean up" command. Microsoft outlook 2010 download meeting request to display a preview of the calendar. The calendar preview feature shows a meeting calendar, and all conflict and adjacent meeting.

Unknown said...

I was excited about starting graduate my university...
I spend great time there:) I want come back

http://www.paperwritings.com/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin