August 9, 2005

Open Mic Thursday at PUNCH Lounge



On Thursday August 4th my boyfriend I attended to an open mic event at PUNCH Lounge in Manhattan. I've never attended one of these before and thought it was very sweet that he and I could enjoy this first together. So we arrive around 7:30 pm, just sit and chit chat for a few. Then around 8:00 pm we get a drink from the bar. I ordered a Malibu w/Pinapple juice and he ordered a Carona. I was hungry, as usual, so I ordered something to munch on. What was it called...? Chicken Satay--I think. Well it was good, not too heavy, not too light, just right.

So around 8:45 pm the show begins.


Act 1 --Some white guy playing a guitar
Act 2--A Breast Cancer Survivor Comedian
Act 3--Some Hyped Rapper
Act 4--Some singer who forgot her music so did Acapella
Act 5--"Jamu" A Hip Hop Violinist
Act 6--"Holly" A virgin to the open mic, she read a poem she wrote on the subway
Act 7--"Urban Legend" A female rapper
Act 8--Another singer
Act 9--A Poem reader.


When all the performers are done the audience votes who the winner of the $100 cash prize will be. You see the guy on the far right in the picture with the tan on? Thats Jamu the hip hop violinist. Brother is talented--He had me vibing and bouncing like I was at a concert. He had my vote that's for damned sure.
When all the performers are done the audience votes who the winner of the $100 cash prize will be. You see the guy on the far right in the picture with the tan on? Thats Jamu the hip hop violinist. Brother is talented--He had me vibing and bouncing like I was at a concert. He had my vote that's for damned sure. But... Jamu didnt win. Yes I know how sad, he was one of the few with a "real talent" not only that, but it was UNIQUE.

So guess who won.......?

"Urban Legend" the female Rapper. She was good and all, but uh... NO!

Despite the poor judgement of the audience I did really enjoy myself. PUNCH Lounge has a very attractive setting that I absolutely adored. I was also very happy that the CEO Tony Molina took care of me. So this goes out to you Tony.

If anyone is in the NY area and would like to visit Open Mic Thursdays at PUNCH Lounge please refer to the flyer below. For info on PUNCH Lounge refer to this link. www.punchrestaurant.com/

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin