It was 5 days ago--just this past Wednesday.
Prior to taking the test they ask you a series of questions--
- How many sexual partners have you had?
- When was the last time you had unprotected sex?
- Have you ever had an STI?
- Are you a drug abuser?
They give you an overview of how the test works--
- Please read this sheet and sign
- You need to know that the HIV Test you are taking with us at this location is NOT
- The test does not check for the HIV virus, it checks for the antibodies
They ask you questions to check your sanity
- Do you suffer from depression?
- When was the last time you were depressed?
- What would you do if your results come back positive?
- Do you have anyone you can talk to about your results?
Finally, they tell you how long you will have to sit at home sweating and waiting for the results--
- It will take about 2 weeks for your results to come in
- I DON'T CALL PATIENTS IF THEIR RESULTS ARE NEGATIVE!
You get up
Walk to the lab
Raise your sleeve
And they draw your blood.
I left the hospital feeling really good; knowing that I just took a necessary step in maintaining my health.
So today is Monday
5 days later
At 8:25 AM
My phone rings
It's the Doctor.
In my head I'm going nutz
My heart went through my ass
I nearly shit on myself
"Good Morning Jenell, sorry to call so early, It's Dr. Pereria, How are you?"
(defecating on myself) I'm doing alright and yourself?
"Oh, I'm doing well, thanks. I just wanted to give you the results of your test."
(Praying) Uh huh...
"Your test came back NEGATIVE"
(Almost in tears) Oh NO! Are you serious!?
Now she's confused "Uhhh, Yes I'm serious, your results are NEGATIVE."
(Coming out of my trance and realizing that she just delivered great news)
Ohhh! They are NEGATIVE! That is great....
(getting a bit angry)
Ummmm, I thought you said you weren't going to know my results for 2 weeks and that you wouldn't call if they were NEGATIVE?
"Yes, that is normal procedure, Jenell, but you seemed like you really wanted to know the results, so I figure I'd give you a ring."
(Now I'm Annoyed)
You can't change the rules like that Dr. If you tell someone they are not going to hear from you if their results are negative and that it takes 2 weeks to get the results in, you can't call them early Monday morning, That's not right.
(Realizing the pain she just caused me) "Oh Jenell, I'm really sorry, your results came back early because they were NEGATIVE and I just wanted to let you know before I got swarmed with work. I apologize."
(Still wanting to be mad but so overjoyed about my results)
"Good luck on exams and have a wonderful Holiday."
Thanks, Happy Holidays to you too.
No one could say anything if I got up and banged her!
I would be totally justified!
Now it's 9 am
I have NO CLASS since it's exam week
And my heart is racing so fast it would be impossible for me to go back to sleep.