July 19, 2009

Sunday Fortune: Be Gracious to the Poor


He who gives to the poor will never want, but he who shuts his eyes will have many curses. (NAS, Proverbs 28:27)


This post stems from my trip to the city the other day. I took you all on my journey on the NYC MTA system and I mentioned that a homeless man distracted me from getting off at my stop.

Just about every time I get on the train, a homeless person or an aspiring rapper or a child in need of a sports uniform or whomever else will be on the train begging for money or food.

They always start off the same, "Excuse me ladies and Gentlemen, sorry to bother you...." followed by what circumstance has them begging and then they tell you what they are looking for you to give.

I do give, but not often. I find myself NOT giving because I'm nervous to take out my deluxe tri-fold wallet and then another part of me doesn't know if they really want the money for what they say they want it for. But that really shouldn't be my concern, right?

Helping those in need is a major theme throughout The Bible. The Bible tells about how you should give generously and as a result you will receive more.

For if you give, you will get! Your gift will return to you in full and overflowing measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use to give -- large or small -- will be used to measure what is given back to you." (TLB, Luke 6:38)

But back to this guy in particular.... After he gave is spiel, he went up to everyone one-by-one, looked them right in the eye, and said, "Excuse me sis/brother, do you have any food or change?"

It was so bold.
And it caught my attention.

That's why I realized too late that I didn't get off where I was supposed to and then became frantic about where I should transfer.

But I digress...

I've decided to volunteer my time. I'm on vacation until Sept. 8th, so what better way to spend it.

I've signed up with NY Cares and I have an orientation coming up very soon. I'm excited. Some of the vulonteer projects include, dancing with seniors, being a friend to immigrants or those with AIDS, reading to homeless children, teaching low income adults financial skills etc.

I can even get my students this year involved.

7 comments:

Alli said...

The other day I went to the grocery store. when I was finished waiting for my ride to arrive, a man on a bike approached me and asked if I had any change I could spare. I didn't but I asked why he needed it. he said he wanted to get something to eat. Right beside the grocery store was a Chinese buffet, i offered him lunch as a take away. i also offered to buy him some food in the store, he looked at me like I had just poured acid on him.... He said to me "Lady if I wanted bagged food I would go to the food bank"! i asked you for change not Chinese take out or whatever.. He swore under his breath and rode away on his bike.
But for every bad situation there are 100 more that really need help. good for you!!

Alli xxx

QueenBee said...

That's mighty bold of you to volunteer your time especially while on vacation. We give but in different ways like donating clothes or food to different organizations. To be honest, I am afraid to actually stop on the side of the street when I'm driving and give someone money because I do feel that my life may be in danger. I feel that if I let down my window and hand over some money, then they are right there pulling something out of their bag.

Jenell : BlakIzBeautyful said...

Wow Alli!

That's crazy. I can't believe he would be so bold and rude.
He asked you for change for food, but yet.... ah whatever.

QueenBee,

I can totally relate to your sentiment. Its how the saying goes "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch"

I know I should rest myself and do nothing, but I think it will be fun helping out. When I was in HS and College I volunteered all the time!

MOMSWEB said...

This post really tugged at my heart strings. I always think...it could be me. Thank God for mercy and thank God for His giving spirit that is within us - to be used.

~ Mrs. K ~ said...

Great Post! You've inspired me to take action as well! Every morning as I walk to work I pass this homeless guy, who without fail is up bright and early such as myself and just standing their waiting for someone to drop money in his cup. Normally, if I happen to stop by Dunkin Donuts, I will pick up an extra breakfast entree and leave it for him in a bag. Tomorrow, I will give him my spare change and look into Volunteering as well. Thank You!

chocolate girl ..... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenell : BlakIzBeautyful said...

Lady Liz!

Thanks for taking the time to join me here on my blog. Your time is greatly appreciated. Please join my blog so you can stay updated on all I have to chat about.

:-)

How awesome you are that you buy him food from time to time! You go girl! I've never done that and you have inspired me.

Let me know how your volunteering search goes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin