When I started dieting years ago, my comfort food was fruits. I would eat 5 servings of fruits a day. My favorites include, red seedless grapes, red delicious apples (no other variety), mangoes, and bananas.
The sweetness of fruits definitely satisfies any sugar cravings you may have. The fiber and liquid in fruits help fill you up and keep you full. If you are full from eating fruits, then naturally you will have a lower daily calorie consumption. A lower daily calorie consumption leads to weight loss. There are also many fruits with so few calories, such as plums, that by the time you are done all the chewing and swallowing, you've burned off all the calories in the fruit.
For many people eating fruits is harder then it should be because they don't work it into their daily menu. Parents also need to make sure their children are eating fruits regularly.
Here's some creative ways to ensure you get all your fruits in everyday.
- Add dried fruits to your cereal. Raisins in oatmeal is yummy. Bananas taste great in most cereals.
- Eat an apple or pear or any other fruit before leaving for work/class or while on your commute to work/class.
- Eat any fruit after your workouts. I always pack grapes before I leave for the gym.
- Drink more fruit juice instead of soda.
- Eat fruit while you watch T.V. instead of popcorn or chips.
See.... it's not as hard as it seems.