December 1, 2005

World AIDS Day 2005


Today I remember my aunt that I lost last year to AIDS
Nov 2004
God bless her soul.

Who are you remembering today?


These are some stats I learned recently about the disease and how it disproportionately effects Black people especially our women.



  1. 159,271 women have been diagnosed with AIDS, through 2002
  2. 38 Million people are living with HIV throughout the world
  3. AIDS is the leading cause of death among African Americans ages 25-4
  4. African Americans account for 42% of AIDS cases in the United States
  5. African Americans are diagnosed AIDS 11 times the rate of Whites
  6. African American women are diagnosed with AIDS 23 times the rate of White women
  7. 162,000 African Americans are living with AIDS in the United Sates
  8. African Americans have the lowest survival rate of people diagnosed with AIDS


The following posters were used during the 2004 UN World AIDS Campaign.

So sad....
But so real!

For so many women around the world these are their stories...

I am however discouraged that the campaign is NOT directed so much to help men as it is to help women. Men are greatly effected by this disease as well.




This poster reads:

Have you heard me today?No sex. No school.
That's the choice I face. I know
this makes me vulnerable to HIV but many of us can only afford to go to school
by allowing our bodies to be used. This has to change.





This poster reads:

Have you heard me today?No sex. No home.
That's the choice I face. I know
this makes me vulnerable to HIV. But if I want a home and my family secure, it
is hard to say no to my husband's demands. This has to change.






This poster reads:

Have you heard me today?No respect. No hope.
Many of us do not command
enough rights or respect in our communities. We are likely to face sexual
violence and can't find jobs or own property as easily. This makes us vulnerable
to HIV. This has to change.




This poster reads:

Have you heard me today?No rights. No life.
I am a mother, daughter, sister,
partner, friend. I run a home. I work, feed my family, bring up my children. I
keep us smiling. I am HIV positive and live in your community. To keep doing all
this, I need your support and respect.






2 comments:

Stephen A. Bess said...

In memory of my cousin, Jeffrey. Good Post.

lyre said...

For my friend, Lindberg, thanks.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin